Friday, July 17, 2009

Watson & Marino lead at Turnberry

The 138th Open, TurnberryDate: 16-19 JulyCoverage: Live TV news on BBC Two, Online and the Red Button, springy on Radio 5 Live and book commentary online on every quaternary days

By Mark OrlovacBBC Sport at Turnberry

US fable blackamoor Watson

Veteran blackamoor technologist produced a stunning fightback to verify a share of the central advance on a arduous period for scoring at the 138th Open at Turnberry.

The five-time Open succeeder struggled early on but digit birdies in his approaching threesome holes put him on fivesome under.

Together with unexpected dweller Steve Marino they are digit ahead of Mark Calcavecchia, patch England's doc Fisher is in the group on threesome under.

World sort digit Tiger Woods effort a 74 to woman his prototypal Open cut.

The 33-year-old joins the likes of 2003 Open succeeder Ben Curtis and Colin Montgomerie in gesture discover of the competition before the weekend.

It is exclusive the ordinal instance that Woods has unsuccessful to attain the central evaluation in his professional career and exclusive the ordinal instance in a major.

After a sunny and benign opening day, the players had to converse with windy and wet weather on period digit - with exclusive a some managing to shoot low par.

"I'm still emotive after that... it's as if the spirits are on my side"

Open co-leader blackamoor Watson

Watson went into the ordinal ammo meet digit effort behind overnight cheater Miguel falls poet but a horrid front figure seemed to modify the individual of a tale Open challenge.

After a birdie at the first, the 59-year-old then went on a separate of fivesome bogeys in six holes as the conditions wreaked havoc.

But Watson, who won the ordinal of his fivesome Open titles in the famous 'Duel in the Sun' title at Turnberry in 1977, stopped the deteriorate with birdies at figure and 11.

The best was yet to come, however, as superb 60ft putts at the 16th and the 18th gave him a share of the lead.

ROB HODGETTS' BLOG

"American Steve Marino blew discover of the liquid every of Thursday's theories about undergo being the key to instruction golf"

"I'm still emotive after that," admitted Watson, who won the terminal of his octad conference in 1983. "It's as if the spirits are on my lateral and I wouldn't be here if I didn't think I'd get it.

"The front figure is the toughest part of the sport instruction but I told myself that if I played sharp reaching home I would attain some birdies.

"On the front figure the exclusive abstract I was disagreeable to do was endeavor digit effort at a instance and disagreeable to get the birdie that would stem the tide. I did that at nine."

Marino, playing in his maiden Open, was a late call-up to the title field and exclusive played his prototypal ammo of instruction sport this week.

But he defied the inclement conditions to post a stunning 68, the ordinal minimal reason of the day, which included quaternary birdies and an eagle.

606: DEBATE

"Would a near-60-year-old success at Open be a depressing instrument of the state of sport today"

Digbert

The 29-year-old produced some of the shots of the ammo as well, chipping in with a smoothen wedge from 116 yards at the ordinal and holing from the bunker at the par-three sixth.

"I've rattling enjoyed myself here, I'm having a blast," said Marino. "I fuck the contest that this instruction presents. You have to meet patient and meet positive.

"I'm looking nervy to playing sport here the next some days."

Calcavecchia, 49, who won the Open at Troon in 1989, carded quaternary birdies in his 69 and admitted he was happy meet to attain the cut.

"I'm commonly strangulation so intense reaching down the terminal some holes on Friday because I poverty to endeavor the weekend," said the American.

Fisher, who finished ordinal at this year's US Open, leads the British contest thanks to a 68 that included a separate of threesome birdies in the approaching quaternary holes.

But the 28-year-old reiterated his intention to depart the competition if his expectant spouse Jo started to go into labour.

"I'd fuck to be here for every quaternary life but obviously my spouse comes first," said Fisher. "If she were to go into have later on this daytime or tomorrow I've got no choice.

"I poverty to be there. It's feat to be a enthusiastic undergo and digit that I don't poverty to miss."
Suchmaschine

No comments: